Due diligence when starting a furniture rental company or event venue will ensure that you protect your investment. Each piece of furniture should be worthy of what you spend on it and be able to make a certain percentage of revenue over and above just breaking even. Otherwise, what would be the point of your business?
You’ve done your market research to figure out exactly what your target market is interested in renting. You also have discovered what kinds of events they are most likely to want rental furniture for. Now you just need to choose the right furniture.
Your ordering plans currently consist of an array of banquet chairs, folding chairs, chiavari chairs and more. But you’ve gotten stuck on the decision between wood or plastic tables. They both have their unique qualities, but you’re not quite sure which ones will provide the best return on investment.
Here are a few benefits and drawbacks of both wood and plastic folding tables to help you decide which one is best for your business. Read on to learn more.
Plastic Folding Table Basics
Gone are the days of only heavy, overbearing tables. You don’t have to hire a team to lug around just one folding table anymore. The advent of plastic has brought all kinds of benefits, including the incredible convenience of lightweight furniture.
Plastic folding tables have these benefits and drawbacks:
- Easy to move around and from room-to-room (unbelievably lightweight!)
- They can hold 800 to 1,000 pounds of equally distributed weight (depending on the size of the table)
- Super easy to clean and wipe down
- Very durable and made to last through years of use - hard to damage!
- Water resistant and great for indoor or outdoor events (even in inclement weather, with tent protection)
- Look great with or without a tablecloth, bringing a contemporary feel to any event
As you can see, plastic tables are an excellent option to have on hand for most events, especially for those that require lightweight furnishings and that might require cleanup. But the versatility of these tables means that they could work for just about any kind of event that your clients might dream up.
Wood Folding Tables Basics
If you’re looking for a classic table that has a beautiful wood glow, these are the tables for you. They’re made to last for years and have a more traditional look than plastic tables. Wood tables look great without a tablecloth, but you want to be cautious when getting them wet (condensation can leave a wet ring on the wood).
Wood folding tables have these benefits and drawbacks:
- Heavier tables that require more effort to move and might require more than one person carrying each table (unlike plastic tables that are easy for just one person)
- These tables can also hold 800 to 1,000 pounds of equally distributed weight, which puts them on par with plastic tables when it comes to function
- Extremely durable and made to last for a long time
- Beautiful, classic look without tablecloths (not recommended with dining, however)
- Carriage bolts visible on the table top, though they are embedded and flush with the rest of the wood
- Not water resistant and can be damaged if food or water is left on the table - cup rings can be a problem
While a classic and beautiful choice, wood tables require more maintenance and prevention tactics. Since they’re made out of wood, they are susceptible to all the typical issues with wood, mainly water damage. They are quite durable tables, however, and can be an excellent choice for specific kinds of events. Consider having some on hand for those clients that aren’t quite sold on the idea of plastic tables.
Laminate Folding Table Basics
If you really appreciate the convenience of plastic tables and the classic, heavy look of wooden tables, then laminate tables might be a choice to consider. They have been around for a long time and are known to have a long life. They can handle a lot more banging around and use than wooden tables can, but they feel more substantial than plastic tables do.
Laminate folding tables have these benefits and drawbacks:
- These tables can be quite heavier to move than plastic or wood tables
- They’re also super sturdy and hard to tip over
- Like the other tables, they can also hold 800 to 1,000 pounds of equally distributed weight (again, depending on the size of the table)
- They look great with or without tablecloths
- No water worries - they can handle the wet without warping
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Tend to be more expensive than plastic and wood folding tables
If you’re looking for a heavy-duty table that is extra sturdy, mostly resistant to water, and gives that traditional effect, laminate folding tables might be the right choice for your business. They are more expensive and hard to lug around, so that should be taken into consideration.
Thankfully, you have a lot of choices for how to build up your furniture rental business or event venue’s furnishings options. Depending on your typical clientele, you might lean more toward choosing plastic folding tables or the traditional wood tables. You might also consider stocking up on a variety of options to serve many kinds of clients, especially if you do many kinds of events both indoor and outdoor.
When you’re ready to fill your inventory of folding tables with the best quality and affordably-priced tables, look no further than Classroom Essentials Online. We offer excellent customer service and would love to help you plan your furnishings for the best return on investment for your business. You can find us at classroomessentialsonline.com or by calling (866) 404-7671.